11.11.2009

Peanut Butter vs. Almond Butter. But First…

I think it is time to thank the amazing person who designed this blog. Her name is Ellie, and she is the most patient person EVER! She answered every one of my questions immediately – I mean seriously, she’d send a tweet saying something like “Thanks everyone for being so patient; I am swamped and so behind; trying to catch up but I have the flu and MAN am I sick” etc. etc. etc. and then I’d have this sudden question or fix that needed to be made to my blog, and she’d do it within 3.2 seconds! She’s talented and creative and affordable, and if you or someone you know wants to start a blog, I highly recommend Ellie. Plus, she lives in California. No wonder she’s so creative and inspired and relaxed all the time!

So anyway, check out her work here and follow her on Twitter if you’re interested: @rainydaydesign.




Thanks Ellie… you’re the best!

And now on to the pb v. ab analysis:



Peanut butter has been a staple in the American diet since the early 1900s. It’s inexpensive to produce and is used in everything delicious! Peanuts are legumes that are naturally sweet and a good source of protein, iron and niacin (vitamin B3, which can help raise HDL cholesterol – typically a good thing). Once ingested, peanut butter helps lubricate intestines and can be settling for the stomach. In addition, it can increase the milk supply in nursing mothers. A pb&j sandwich is something EVERY kid remembers eating (except for my husband who was allergic and had to eat cream cheese and jelly sandwiches…).




Then almond butter entered the ring. Almond butter is a more recent development but can now be found in most grocery stores. Almonds are also naturally sweet, and are rich in protein, iron, calcium and vitamin B2. They have nearly half the saturated fat of peanuts. Almonds are sometimes used to treat people with lung conditions because of their ability to transform phlegm, alleviate coughing and help reduce symptoms of asthma. Almonds also help alkalize (reduce acid in) the blood, which is important (remember, disease can only grow in acidic environments).




When I first met Ed, I couldn’t believe he’d never had the pleasure of eating a pb&j sandwich. I mean, talk about missing out on an important part of childhood! He loves all other nuts though, so I made him an almond butter and jelly sandwich one day and he was hooked. Now we eat exclusively almond butter in our house. Well, with the exception of this past summer, when my peanut butter-addicted little sis was living with us and insisted we have peanut butter, and I was reminded of how delicious it really is – thanks Madsie!

SO which one is better? Which should you be feeding your kids?

I think both are good for young kids. The fats, vitamins and minerals in the two types of nuts complement each other well, so a mixture is beneficial. You can even make your own at home with ½ peanuts, ½ almonds (the best of both worlds!). Some kids have peanut allergies so you have to be cautious when introducing nut butters to them at a young age (it is recommended you wait until they are 8 or 9 months at least, and some doctors say 3 years, depending on a child’s tendency toward allergies). Peanuts can cause skin outbreaks and also slow the metabolic rate of the liver. People who are overweight, yeast-infected (thrush, candida, et.), or diagnosed with cancer should avoid peanut butter.

Almond butter is a bit more expensive, but if you make it at home you can save so much money (read about it here!). Whichever type you prefer, try to buy organic as they are less likely to have mold on them. Keeping nuts in the refrigerator helps them stay fresh.




I hope this helps – really, you can’t go wrong because both are packed with nutrients and most kids love a good nut butter & jelly/honey/banana sandwich!


2 comments:

  1. Ann I'm so glad you posted who designed your blog. It looks awesome! I was just on her site and saw that she designed another one of my favorite blogs, isuwannee.com. Funny!

    I love your blog and recipes - thanks for sharing!!

    -Katie Hickey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love peanut butter but I'm at high risk for a peanut allergy so can't eat it. I have switched to almond butter and really like it. I'm happy to hear it can help asthma as I have asthma.

    ReplyDelete