4.22.2010

Fruit Tart


This recipe is one of my absolute favorites. It’s easy; it’s made from 100% healthy, whole foods; it’s delicious; and it’s pretty enough to serve to guests. I’ve been waiting until spring to post it, because it’s perfect for spring and summer BBQs. But another reason I love this recipe is because it doesn’t have to be a dessert. You can just as easily serve this for breakfast on top of some yogurt or oatmeal.





I adapted the recipe from one I found on the World’s Healthiest Foods website (here). I just added a few things – almonds, other berries, and some fresh lemon juice. And, I reduced the honey because I think the berries make it sweet enough. I’ve passed this recipe along to some family and friends and it always gets great reviews. You can make it with any type of fruit – I’ve done all berries but I also made one last summer with peaches and blueberries.

The nutritional value is pretty obvious: berries, nuts, dates. And we learned Tuesday that frozen berries can be just as nutritious as fresh, so if you don’t want to spend a fortune on fresh organic berries, frozen will work really well. Usually I use a mix of fresh and frozen, but today I used all frozen. I chose cherries, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries.

Oh, and we usually serve this with ice cream. I’m hoping I have time today to pick some up! (Don’t worry Ed, I’ll make time).


Recipe

2 ½ cups walnuts (I used about 1 ¾ cups walnuts, ¾ cup almonds)

1 ½ cups dates (don’t forget to buy pitted dates or remove them yourself, which only takes a few minutes and saves money)

5 cups fresh or frozen berries (or any fruit)

2 tbsp raw honey

1 ½ tbsp arrowroot

2 tbsp water, or juice from frozen berries

1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice





Combine nuts and pitted dates in food processor until well ground, but not smooth (about 45 seconds for me). Press into a pie pan and refrigerate.





Thaw the frozen fruit. Place 2 cups of fruit, water, and arrowroot into food processor or blender and puree. (If you’re using some frozen and some fresh fruit, use the frozen for this part).





Place puree into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 4 minutes. When puree thickens, remove from heat. Mix into a bowl with the other fruit, raw honey, and fresh lemon juice. Pour mixture into tart shell, cover, and refrigerate for 2-3 hours (or more) before eating.








I made this when I got up this morning, but had pulled the recipe out last night and set it on the counter. Apparently Ed saw it and decided to add something… see below.





(In case my iphone photo isn’t clear enough, it says “1 happy husband” – ha! It's his favorite dessert and he always will casually ask when I'm going to make it again!)

Enjoy!



6 comments:

  1. looks amazing, cant wait to try it.
    ps. do you write your recipes with calligraphy pens? you must have some lying around...

    ReplyDelete
  2. can anything be substituted for the arrowroot? I'm not sure I would use that in anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the arrowroot is just a thickener, so you could use tapioca! I bought it to make this fruit tart--and haven't used the arrowroot since..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, tapioca would work fine, as would corn starch. I bet you could even just skip the thickener altogether and it would still turn out well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your website! I made this tart last night and it turned out to be such a hit. I can't stop eating it!!!

    Thank you for the recipe :) It's a definite repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In fact, how hypocritically, callously presumptuous, even of Apollo,
    to have so soon forgotten the kind of sense which needed to be beaten into him;
    even though he'd still failed to learn, nearly well enough
    at that, to avoid just as senselessly paying with his life.
    gov - Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 11:42 AMSubject: Fw:
    Long Beach State University--letter-perfect this time - Dear Representative Horn:   Last year, this month, I was charged in on, at
    my mother's home, accused of being a "terrorist," and involuntarily incarcerated for three days; just because I had called
    Congressman Ed Royce's office for help, at trying to persuade an unreceptive CSULB to listen, finally, after fifteen years of ignoring me, to
    my appeals that I be permitted to publish the Second Edition of my Master's Thesis.
    It turned out that Pablo Escobar was responsible for the death threat while in public
    he acted the politician and called Lara Bonilla, the minister of justice, a puppet of the U.


    Feel free to visit my web page - game of war fire age hack

    ReplyDelete