5.03.2010

Recipe: Mint Macadamia Pesto


First of all, thank you so much to EVERYONE who has contacted me about my weight loss case study! I am amazed by the response I have gotten so far. For those of you that missed it, go here to read about what I’m looking for. I am hoping to choose someone by Wednesday of this week, so there are still a couple of days to plead your case! Regardless of who I choose, I will be in touch with each of you this week. I am so excited about this project!

And now onto the recipe…

I went to a party last week and brought this as an appetizer. I found it in Body + Soul magazine and (as usual) I adapted it to what I think is a healthier and tastier version of the recipe!

Recipe

1 cup fresh mint leaves (mine came from the garden)

1/3 cup parsley

1/3 cup macadamia nuts

1 tsp minced red jalapeño chili

1 ½ tbsp lemon juice

½ tbsp lime juice

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

Sea salt to taste





Purée mint, parsley, macadamia nuts, and jalapeño in food processor until smooth. Add lemon and lime juices and olive oil, and process until creamy. Garnish with mint and serve.





I served this on cucumber slices with a bit of red pepper on top for an ultra-healthy (but still colorful and tasty) appetizer. However, it would go well with all sorts of veggies, chips or crackers. Ed and I ate it for lunch yesterday with sliced carrots, radishes, and red pepper, as well as rice & adzuki bean chips and sesame crackers.





You look at it and think pesto, but then taste it and realize it’s something totally different. The mint and citrus flavors are strong and very refreshing. Fresh mint can be soothing to the stomach, acts as an antioxidant inside our bodies, and is a great source of manganese, vitamin A and vitamin C. Parsley is an amazing source of vitamin K, as well as vitamins C & A, folate and iron. It is also a source of antioxidants. Parsley protects the heart and is beneficial for people with arthritis.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment