8.18.2010

State Fairs


It’s Friday. And I don’t know about you, but I've had an extremely long (but good!) week. Anyway, I wanted to keep it light today, and I think I have the perfect post to send you into your weekend with.

It’s state fair season everywhere. My hometown state fair, the Minnesota State Fair, happens to be the greatest one. As kids, my siblings and I used to go to the MN State Fair with my grandfather, Pops. He’d fly out to St. Paul from St. Louis, and take all of us for food, animals and rides. Pops now lives in St. Paul, and last year my dad and I had the pleasure of taking him up in the space needle! It was really cool – he was definitely the only 88-year old in the space needle.









But the real issue I want to talk about is the food at state fairs. I understand they’re not going for “health,” or even “fresh” or “organic,” and that's fine! But at times they get out of hand. My brother sent me an e-mail last night with a link to an article and the words, “The Wisconsin State Fair needs PWN.” The link? It was to the WI State Fair’s newest food: the Krispy Kreme Cheeseburger. I mean, it’s just kind of ridiculous, right? Things like fried Snickers bars and now Krispy Kreme Cheeseburgers don’t even sound tasty to me. If I go to the state fair, I want to get the state’s best French fries, or corn, or a fresh vanilla shake from the dairy barn. But it almost seems like it’s become a novelty to eat the most absurd, unhealthy food possible at the state fair.




Oh, and I forgot to mention that they have bacon on them too...



If you are headed to the fair this weekend, eat foods that you know you’ll truly enjoy, and eat them guilt-free! But I would advise you not to eat something just because “it’s only available once a year” or you really want to tell your brother that you drank a fried Coke (yes, that exists too).

Not that you asked for my advice, but if you had, that’s what I’d say.

Have a great weekend everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment